Thursday, August 22, 2013

Plugging Away

We have passed the official two month mark on the GAPS diet. Storms have been weathered, lessons learned, mistakes made, and tears shed. But, I am very happy with our decision to begin this sometimes arduous, overwhelming, worthwhile journey. Though we haven't seen marked improvements in our youngest children, we have noticed definite improvement in two of our older children; the clearer-thinking, less-sensory-sensitive/defensive, better-able-to-cope kind of way. And, my migraines have been all but completely eliminated! That is definitely worth the investment.

And, I have learned to make MANY new things, like:
  • yogurt
  • nut flour
  • nut milk
  • coconut milk (way too easy - check out recipes here and here)
  • grain-free scones (that are amazing, I might add). 
  • jerky (from marked down buffalo - and it was yummy, too.)
  • fruit leather
  • "crispy nuts"
  • mayonnaise
  • pancakes from squash (who knew - you will hardly notice the difference)
  • "cali-spuds" also known as creamed cauliflower or "fauxtatoes" like these
  • homemade marshmallows
And, though it is definitely an uphill climb, it hasn't fixed all the problems I hoped it would, it is expensive, difficult, and a heck of a lot of work, this diet/lifestyle change has tremendous benefits. If nothing else, I have more energy than I've had in years, and I haven't had a migraine in almost two months!! But even more than that, my sweet four year old, who has struggled more than anyone else with this lifestyle change (we have to feed her every couple of hours, or her anxiety and sensory issues are much worse), told me yesterday that she likes the diet. Before the diet, her tummy hurt all the time, but it doesn't hurt anymore since we started the diet. 

Unfortunately, GAPS isn't intended to address either anxiety or sensory issues. And, for us, it hasn't helped. Honestly, I was hoping it would; really hoping. Even so, it helping many issues that we didn't even know needed to be addressed. And, I'm starting to really have fun with the process. Never what one could consider a "domestic goddess" before, it is very fun to be able to make so many items for my family. It is fun to be learning more about nutrition and health, and to see the direct connection between what I eat and how I feel. 

In the next few days, I'm hoping to post photos of some of what we've made recently. And, I'll be sharing my adventure with making kvass, borscht, kefir (which I'm a little nervous about trying).
.

No comments:

Post a Comment