Monday, June 24, 2013

Day Eight

Yeah!! We have survived our first full week of GAPS. And, I am completely exhausted, lol. This is a very labor intensive process. But, we made it through the first week, and things are going much better than I expected.

The biggest blessing is, other than my four year old, the first day, we haven't been plagued by cravings. Oh sure, we'd love a candy bar, and Dairy Queen calls my name every time I drive by (who doesn't love their blizzards?) but it hasn't been as difficult/overpowering as I suspected it would be. That is a huge blessing.

Kids still aren't real excited about bone broth, but since we're starting Stage Four tomorrow, that is ok; our repertoire of foods has expanded greatly from a week ago. They love sauerkraut, are drinking whey like it is going out of style, and are thrilled with a snack of cooked carrots - just promise not to tell them the carrots are cooked in bone broth.

I have learned how to make homemade yogurt, sour cream, and kefir. Tomorrow, I'm going to try my hand at sauerkraut; it is insanely easy to make (according to all the instructions I've read) and it is expensive to buy. Nuts are soaking in preparation for grain-free pancakes - a new favorite treat, and I'm feeling much more confident with the path we've chosen.

My husband has been a champ, too. Honestly, if he wasn't on board, I'm not sure we could have continued. It has been that hard. Admittedly, I'm not the best with planning ahead; I don't have my menu all figured out, I'm not ready to feed my kids as often as they are hungry, and I easily forget that we need to take snacks with us when we do need to leave the house (which I'm trying to do as little as possible). He has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. 

Since I know blogs are much more interesting with photos, I'm hoping to post some tomorrow. Kids have documented our progress, and I am so completely amazed at them drinking the whey that I have to document it with a photograph, lol. So, stay tuned. And, if you are considering starting GAPS, let me know. I'd love to encourage you in the process. After all...misery loves company.

No comments:

Post a Comment