Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day Three

Well, I'm eating my words from yesterday!! This morning started out rough, with one of the kids puking, and several feeling really crummy. After a bit of surfing, and finding great pages like this one, and this one, and this one, and spending lots of time reading the Q & A section on the GAPS website, I concluded the kids (who are much more stubborn than I thought) were probably struggling with low blood sugar from not eating enough carbs (from the carrots we added to the soups yesterday) and probably were struggling at least a little with dehydration.

The recommended treatment was carrot juice, and since we had an industrial size bag, I made lots. It was not warmly received by everyone, but our littlest guy quickly had four (littlest guy sized) servings. Within a short amount of time, those who willingly partook were feeling much better. Trying to decide if I was dealing with die-off or just low blood sugar, I decided to add an egg to each serving of soup, in addition to broccoli and cauliflower. This time, my four year old daughter enthusiastically consumed her soup, and asked for seconds, twice. Guess that worked well.

While I knew our two youngest were going to have issues with the diet, I was really not prepared for the amount of difficulty our next two would have?! They are both really struggling today. As I think about it, though, it makes sense. Of all our kids, these two are the worst at the "spacey" behavior commonly described in the reading I've done. Our daughter with dyslexia is really struggling; body aches, headache, and very VERY whiny. A bath with bath salts and lavender really seemed to help, as did finally deciding to eat what was set before her, and having some of the fresh yogurt I made, rich with probiotics. 


Notice the two ovens!! The stove top pulls out like a drawer.

Chicken and beef bones are going in two different crock pots, more yogurt is culturing in my small over (I have the coolest oven, ever - a   Frigidaire Flair), and nobody is throwing up.

Over all, we're doing fairly well, considering. And my healthy portion of humble pie hasn't been too bitter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment