Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day Four

Yesterday ended poorly. I had a headache. Being prone to migraines anyway, the plain old headache quickly triggered a migraine. And guess what; my sweet little boy (who turned two in March) was not tired, and everyone who could be helpful was either swimming or at a friend's house. So, I didn't get to bed very quickly, which made matters worse.

Thankfully, my headache was gone this morning, but the day didn't start well. Breakfast (broth with lots of veggies) burned, putting me behind the gun, with a house full of hungry kids. So, I made more juice!! It took a while to sort and prep the carrots, but we got that done, and kids were much happier. Then, putting big girls to work (though I'm down three right now - what was I thinking?! I sent away my extra sets of hands - oops!!), got another pot of soup going. Thankfully, with the broth already made, it only takes about 30 minutes to get veggies cooked, once they are cut up. I'm learning that with GAPS, that is REALLY fast, lol.

We've only been on this adventure for a few days, but I have learned a few very valuable lessons. Planning ahead is ESSENTIAL. And, having broth going all the time is also vitally important. If you don't want to get caught with hungry kids and nothing to feed them, get a crock pot and keep it filled with bones. One blog I read described boiling bones twelve different times and still being able to make broth?! That is pretty serious broth making.

I know GAPS can be expensive, but being a frugalista, I've found a few ways to pinch pennies. First, ask a local butcher about soup bones. We are buying local grown, antibiotic and hormone-free, grass-fed beef knuckle bones for $.99/lb and marrow bones for $2.49/lb. I also found a fish monger who will sell me fish carcasses (I'm NOT a fish person, so I don't want anything but the bones) for $.99/lb. It works out to be a good deal for them, and for me. We haven't found a good source for chicken bones, but I can get locally grown, hormone and antibiotic-free, free-range whole chickens for $2.49/lb. It won't make as much broth, but what it makes is very rich.

And, with the veggies, I have made a deal with a local fresh fruit market to buy in  bulk for a lower per unit price. The most expensive part of the diet so far, food-wise (the supplements are very expensive), has definitely been the fresh milk. It is $6/gallon for whole fresh milk. I'm not sure if it is really less expensive to make my own yogurt, but everyone sure loves it. 

Since we aren't buying nearly as much food, even though what we're buying is more expensive, it is working out,at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment